While the teeth are all protected by a hard, durable enamel on the outside, they actually contain a soft pulp inside, which is full of nerve endings and blood vessels. If you have been suffering from a persistent toothache, you may have an infection of the pulp inside the tooth, which will require a root canal to treat. Root canals are often associated with a negative reputation, but this simple oral surgery is actually a quick and comfortable procedure that will relieve you of your pain rather than causing you additional discomfort. At Sunshine Dental in Albuquerque, we will provide friendly and efficient care for cavities and decay, including fillings, crowns, and root canals.
Why Are Root Canals Needed?
When a cavity forms in a tooth and is left untreated, bacteria may infect the pulp of the tooth, causing inflammation that irritates the nerves inside the pulp. A root canal will treat the infection by removing the pulp of the tooth and preserving the remaining healthy structure of the tooth root.
What Happens During a Root Canal?
Root canal treatment can spare you from tooth extraction and periodontal treatment, which may become necessary if the infection inside the tooth spreads to the healthy gum tissue. When your dentist schedules a root canal, you can expect treatment to take about 45 minutes to an hour and include the following steps.
1. Local anesthesia is applied – Modern dental care technologies minimize the discomfort of drilling associated with root canals, but you will still be given a local anesthetic to numb the area for optimal comfort during treatment. If you have dental anxiety, you may also have a light sedative, such as Valium, or nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to help you relax.
2. The tooth pulp is removed – Through a small opening in the tooth, the dentist will remove the infected tooth pulp and apply an antibiotic to control the infection. The tooth is then filled with a special rubber-like material that supports its structure.
3. The tooth is capped with a crown – Depending on how much of the structure of the tooth is intact following the root canal, the dentist will either use a filling or crown to cap the tooth. The end result will be indistinguishable from the natural teeth.
When you need restorative or preventive care in Albuquerque, you can count on Sunshine Dental for fast and friendly treatment. To schedule an appointment in our office, call us at (505) 298-0456.
Why Choose Us?
- Se Habla Español
- Top Rated Albuquerque Dentist
- Saturday Appointments Available
- Major Insurances Accepted
- Financing & Payment Plans Available
- Money-Saving Dental Membership Plans
- Caring & Experienced Dental Team
- State of The Art Facility