If you are missing some or all of your natural teeth, it is important to seek restorative treatment that will allow you to regain the ability to eat and speak normally while preserving the natural beauty of your facial features. Dentures are a common treatment option for missing teeth, and they are custom-fitted to each smile for a true fit that ensures comfort and convenience. At Sunshine Dental, we will provide individualized care for your smile as you explore the benefits of dentures in Albuquerque. Read on for a more detailed look at dentures and how they might help your smile.
Types of Dentures
Dentures are removable oral appliances, which may replace just some or all of the natural teeth. Dentures are designed to fit comfortably in the mouth and mimic the appearance of your natural teeth so that you are able to smile proudly while you wear them. Here’s a closer look at the different types of dentures that your dentist may recommend, depending on the needs of your smile.
- Partial – Ideally, your dentist will preserve as many of the natural teeth as possible. With partial dentures, healthy teeth are left in place, and partial dentures essentially fill in the gaps.
- Full – A full conventional denture will replace all the teeth and fit over the gum line. Adhesives may be used to better secure the dentures in place so that you are able to speak and eat with confidence.
- Overdentures – In some cases, overdentures will be made to fit over a handful of the natural teeth, which are left in place to provide support for the dentures and prevent recession of the jawbone with connections to the roots of the teeth.
Getting Used to New Dentures
The treatment process with dentures can take several weeks, and there may be a period of adjustment to get used to the new oral appliances. As you adjust to your dentures, follow these tips to improve your comfort and oral health.
- Follow-up with the dentist – You should see the dentist about one to two weeks after you start wearing your dentures to be sure that the fit is ideal for your smile. Your dentist can make any necessary adjustments and offer tips to help you resolve any possible discomfort with your dentures.
- Maintain good oral hygiene – Just like the natural teeth, dentures should be brushed and cleaned to remove debris and prevent staining. You’ll also want to continue brushing the gums and roof of your mouth, since these soft tissues are still susceptible to plaque, which may lead to periodontal disease.
For dental care from basic cleanings and checkups to advanced restorative procedures, you can count on Sunshine Dental for experienced, attentive care in Albuquerque. To schedule your first consultation in our family dental practice, give us a call at (505) 298-0456.
Why Choose Us?
- Se Habla Español
- Top Rated Albuquerque Dentist
- Saturday Appointments Available
- Major Insurances Accepted
- Financing & Payment Plans Available
- Money-Saving Dental Membership Plans
- Caring & Experienced Dental Team
- State of The Art Facility